This has been an interesting project, I am realizing now at this stage how I am using these examples to morph original idea for my Senior show. Now going forward into the tonal college of our images in part one. I cut out copies of my images in 3 different tones for each of my images.
New techniques and understanding of new vocabulary were introduced to understand this part of the assignment.
These vocabulary terms are, Form, Content, Silhouette, Implied lines, Aspect ratio, Hybrid, Overlap, and Abstraction.
The challenge for me was the requirement of asymmetrically balanced design. As with all assignments that involve glue, cutting out and pencils marks we had to make sure everything was clean. We also had to do several iterations before glueing down this final piece.
After showing ouri terations to Peter and Tim for advice and making adjustments, I began to glue down my final design. This took a little longer to do than part 1 because I was trying to figure out how to make my images look farther or closer when I overlapped them.
At the end of this part we were told to take a very extreme angle of our tonal pieces.
Here is my final piece.
Thematic collage part 1 of 3
Cliche and Collage
For this assignment we had to take the previous WORD assignment and take those words to images and avoid using images that were cliche. We took various images that were from a variety of magazines the reflected our original three words. The biggests help was using google to find synonyms. The total words that I was able to come up with were 20 words.
New vocabulary for this part of the assignment is Implied Motion, Picture Plane, Position perspective,Color perspective, Figure (Positive space) and Ground (Negative space).
I had to do iterations of my cut out images on a large 11x17 paper.
After creating all iterations I consulted Peter and Tim for advice on the layout and flow, Creating motion for me was the most difficult to achieve. After I was able to create an image that had implied motion, I then focused on slight adjustments for the negative and positive space. I did this by overlapping more or less in certain areas.
The image above was my final iteration that I glued in place.
This project involved artists styles of Barbara Kruger, Jenny Holzer, and Jaume Plensa.
The creative strategies was to "Take an object/Do something to it/Do something else to it.
After that was completed we laid out the three pieces onto the same paper with the three words to create unique variations and shot different angles by using a light source and changing the shadows.
Below are my iterations to my design before moving onto the next process.
Once I found the correct image I then cropped in slightly to remove table. The next step was to redraw the image using a lines with a pencil. We would mimic darker areas by cross hatching lines to make it look denser or lighter.
The goals were to find 3 meaningful words, work from a 2D design to a 3D design and back to a 2D design. The struggle I found was to create a sculpture that was standing to show words or parts of words.
My Name is Steve Gonzalez, coming back to school after a lot of years. I am determined to get this done. Sometimes I wonder if I will make it.